Reflections

Friday, September 29, 2006

Getting to the Finishing Line

A few years ago, I did a 5 Km charity run. Well I guess I'll call it a jog. The money raised was to aid research in cancer. I had never done a run of such nature before. Even back in my school days, I had never been one for much physical challenges. I had shied away as much as possible in anything that remotely would work up a sweat. I was too lady like for such activities, had been my excuse.

With the benefit of maturity, I came to love or probably appreciate, I should say, the benefits of exercise. So when a friend suggested I take part in this charity event, although initially apprehensive, I eventually rose to the occasion.

Lunch times, in a nearby sports field close to where I work, I enlisted the help of a work colleague who coached me, trained me, inspired me and prepared me for my big event! Many times, I would have traded those times for a quiet stroll or sitting on my favourite bench in the park. After all, spring was in the air. Yet mentally, I stirred myself. My mental stimulation pushed me forward physically.

The day came. I jogged the race. Non-stop! I puffed, panted, worked up that sweat but pressed on. I had my target in mind. What joy when I saw the finishing line in sight. I doubled up as I dashed towards it. A sudden burst of adrenalin. I got my medal and a few goodies. I had completed the race. I had persevered. The hard work in the weeks before had paid of. To many, it was merely a short race but to me it was a marathon of sorts.

Life is like that in so many ways. We must keep our stare, our gaze, our focus on our God given goals. Only then can we make the finishing line. Only with perseverance on our part and coaching from the Holy Spirit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home