Reflections

Thursday, October 12, 2006

How Long Does It Take To Form A Habit?

This week I decided to make a new change to my morning weekday routine. I decided I would wake up just fifteen minutes earlier to spend time with God and God alone. In the past, my morning devotion with Him had been during my hour journey whilst driving to work. This week, it dawned on me that giving God FIRST place, FIRST thing in the morning was an excellent way to start the day. I couldn't think of a better way. Reasoning dictated that if God is never busy for me, why should I be busy for Him? What difference after all would a mere fifteen minutes less sleep make?

So far, it's Thursday and I have been doing splendidly since starting this habit on Monday. I somehow feel more energised. I also believe I have an extra spring in my step. I feel more confident, protected even, before I sit in my car! I still give God my attention whilst driving to work. But it's like these fifteen minutes are adding more value to that time too.

Some say it takes 21 days to form a habit for good. Whether it takes 21, 30 or 100 days, I ask God to give me the strength to carry on. I want to continue this habit, this routine. It is a good one. Let's face it, it would be oh so easy to just turn off the alarm, simply roll over and sleep those 15 minutes. And I would be a hyprocrite to say I haven't thought of doing that every morning that alarm has gone off. But my friend, what would I gain? Do I feel tired for the 'cut' in my sleep? No. So it seems I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

21, 30 or 100 days God is going to take me through this. He is after all my strength.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home