Reflections

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Esteem Your Spouse

Yes, I know. It has been a while. Actually a long while. How have you been? I'm back and I'm sure blessed. Lets have fun once again as I share some of my reflections with you.

The other day, I was out shopping with my husband. We were looking for bedside lamps. Well we, or should I say I, found some really beautiful ornate ones (my husband likes everything I like, ha). Shortly afterwards, a lady came and stood right next to me as she examined some lamps too. As her left hand reached out to touch one of the lamps on display, her beautiful set of rings caught my eye. A beautiful diamond solitaire on some white metal together with an equally shiny wedding band were truly a sight to behold. I looked up to see the face that belonged to those well manicured hands, to see the prized owner of such jewels. "Goodness", I gasped.

The lady had no left eye! I quickly turned away. I refocused my gaze on my husband who I asked if what I had seen had been real or perhaps a mirage caused by the shop lightings. Yes he confirmed with slowly measured words, she has no eye. A 'missing' eye, no apparent socket, just skin behind the lens of the frosty spectacle she wore. There were no obvious scars to suggest that this deformity had been as a result of an accident. I later safely concluded that in all probability she had been born that way.

"Well", I later said to my husband, "in spite of her obvious disability, she had been highly esteemed by someone, who in all probability has two eyes in sockets, and probably thought she was the most beautiful woman in his world enough to marry her and even be mother to his children". And okay even if this deformity had been as a result of an accident after they had been joined as man and wife, it did not seem apparent he had not left her! This man had given her exquisite rings to compliment the beauty he saw in her.

How dare we then criticise our spouse for their minor flaws and imperfections? In Ephesians 6(28-33), Paul commissions husbands to love their wives. Likewise, he instructs the women to respect their husbands. I like the way the Amplified Bible expands verse 33. Read it ladies for yourself.

To all the sisters, does it matter he has on that horrible tie again? Does it matter that he has not shaved in three days? Men, does it matter she has put on weight since she birthed your children? Does it matter that her shiny mane now has highlights of grey?

God considers the heart. That is where true beauty lies. I made up my mind that night as I cuddled up to my husband, that the Holy Spirit being my Helper, I would always esteem my spouse highly. And as we women esteem our husbands likewise in turn they will give us the love we desire. Have you told your spouse how gorgeous they are today? What are you waiting for? And women, who knows you might get a beautiful gem to add to your collection too!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home